Written by Sammi Brondo
The options to top these and mix them up are almost endless. They’re delicious as is, but you could also add mashed avocado, shredded cheese or even crushed tortilla chips for a little added crunch. Plus, this recipe actually takes only 20 minutes thanks to a genius sweet potato cooking hack.
It stores well in Tupperware – simply place the stuffed sweet potato as is into the container -, lasts 3-5 days and is seriously delicious and filling. What are you waiting for?!
Control your health at its roots
Southwestern Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Ingredients (makes 4 potatoes):
4 small to medium sweet potatoes
1 red bell pepper
1 green bell pepper
1/2 medium yellow onion
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 15-oz. jar low sodium black beans
6 oz. plain Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon (or more) taco seasoning, divided
Optional toppings: avocado, shredded cheese, crushed tortilla chips
1. Wash and dry sweet potatoes. Pierce them throughout with a fork. Place on a plate and microwave on high for 8-10, until soft. (You may need to microwave them 2 at a time depending on the size/power of your microwave). Let cool for a few minutes once done.
2. While sweet potatoes are in the microwave, slice bell peppers and onion into thin strips.
3. Add olive oil to a pan over medium high heat. Add onion, peppers, 1/2 tablespoon taco seasoning, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 6-8 minutes. Set aside.
4. Drain and rinse black beans. Set aside.
5. In a small bowl, mix plain Greek yogurt with remaining taco seasoning. Add salt to taste. Set aside.
6. Slice cooked and cooled sweet potatoes in half lengthwise. Stuff each with sautéed peppers and onion and black beans. Top with a dollop of Greek yogurt.